P.O. Box 1771, Jensen Beach, FL 34958 help@cherab.org 772-335-5135

From Our Blog

Pursuit of Research Promoting Good Nutrition For Special Needs

  • Study: Baby and adult brains sync up during play
    by Lisa Geng on January 12, 2020 at 4:25 pm

    Have you ever played with a baby and felt a sense of connection, even though they couldn’t yet talk to you? New research suggests that you might quite literally be “on the same wavelength,” experiencing similar brain activity in the same brain regions. I just read this study and thought this would be very interesting...Read More »

  • Piracetam could harm users, study warns
    by Lisa Geng on November 27, 2019 at 4:52 am

    New research led by Dr. Pieter Cohen of Harvard Medical School and his colleagues reported in JAMA Internal Medicine on Monday that piracetam is listed as an ingredient on the labels of five supplements for sale online. Side Effects Side effects of piracetam are numerous and include anxiety, and depression, hyperkinesia, or even severe cognitive...Read More »

  • Study: Toddlers using ‘screens’ more than 1 hour a day may have lower speech skills
    by Lisa Geng on November 12, 2019 at 10:31 pm

    “In addition to the MRI results, excessive screen time was significantly associated with poorer emerging literacy skills and ability to use expressive language, as well as testing lower on the ability to rapidly name objects on cognitive tests” Associations Between Screen-Based Media Use and Brain White Matter Integrity in Preschool-Aged Children John Hutton MD JAMA...Read More »

  • “Picky eater” teen loses vision and hearing due to junk food diet
    by Lisa Geng on September 3, 2019 at 6:02 pm

    40% of a typical 2 to 18-year old’s diet consists of “empty calories” (commonly known as “junk food”), and even in the remaining 60 percent of their diet, there are often roadblocks to gaining essential nutrients. Elimination and fad diets often prevent children from meeting daily requirements. Dietary sources of energy, solid fats, and added...Read More »

  • I’m learning to speak, please don’t mind me while I eat
    by Lisa Geng on August 9, 2019 at 7:55 pm

    We recently saw an article about a family who was asked to leave a restaurant when their child with Apraxia made a nearby patron uncomfortable with his attempts at speech. That had us thinking… We previously created an information card to hand out while Trick-Or-Treating at Halloween. It’s obvious that parents need similar information cards...Read More »